Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Program YES 2022-23
Interested students who meet the following criteria, can fill out the online Preliminary Application and submit it along with the required documents.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 – 17 by the start of program (August 15, 2022).
- Applicants must be enrolled in a secondary school at the time of application.
- Applicants must have the equivalent of a “B” average or better and no failing grades.
- Applicants must meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
- Applicants must be citizens of Pakistan.
- Applicants must be enrolled in 9 th or 10 th grade or 'O' Levels at a secondary school in Pakistan at the time of
application. (Note for ‘O’ Level students: Only ‘O’ Level 9 th grade or ‘O’ Level 10 th grade students are eligible
to apply. ’O’ Level 11 th graders are not eligible.)
- Applicants must have earned minimum marks of 60% in all major/core subjects (English, mathematics,
sciences) in the last session attended without any failing grades and have at minimum, overall average marks of
60% for the past three academic years (2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21).
- Applicants who were promoted without taking the annual examinations in the 2019-20 academic year due to
COVID-19, will need to obtain a subject wise performance document from their school. The document must be
stamped and signed by an authorized school official. Also, if they had any class test mark sheet (transcript) for
2019-20, they must also attach it when filling out the online application. (Note: Applicants must earn minimum
marks of 60% in all subjects on the annual exams that will be held in 2022, prior to their departure to the U.S.
Students will be required to send their mark sheets from the last examination.)
- Students with a gap year or a repeated year are ineligible.
- The student must be able to communicate in English. Applicants must have earned a minimum mark of 60% in
English for the past three academic years (2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21).
- The student must be at least 15 years old and no older than 17 years old on August 15, 2022.
- The student must not have traveled to the United States.
In addition to the above requirements, students who also meet the following criteria are more likely to be
short listed for the final round of selection.
- The applicant can represent and demonstrate Pakistani culture and values at American schools and
- The applicant demonstrates maturity, flexibility, adaptability, good character and scholastic aptitude.
- The applicant is willing to participate in the host family’s daily life.
- The applicant has record of all necessary immunizations, as outlined in the Final Student Application, before
arriving in the United States.
- The applicant demonstrates flexibility and a commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding.
- The applicant agrees to attend classes as a full-time student and maintain at least a ‘B’ grade average.
- The applicant agrees to abide by the 'YES Student Rules' as outlined in the YES Final Application and all other
rules and policies during the program.